1. Gather anything that reminds you of the person you are trying to forget about and return them if you can. If that's not possible, then find a suitable box and put them in a safe place. Who knows; one day you might want to see them again.
2. Stop the crying and try laughing! It's easier and better. Surround yourself with people who won't bring the person up, and can lighten the mood.
3. Focus on how time away from each other might feel better months from now, not on why you miss them.
4. Some people find it better to be alone, but whatever your preference is, don't surround yourself with lots of people. One person is more than enough. You can focus your attention on that one person rather than a large group.
5. Talk about it with the opposite gender. Sometimes that can make things easier.
6. Look at it from their perspective; you could be the problem.
7. Know that you're not the only one hurting. Chances are, they're missing you as well.
8. Smile in the mirror, it can make you feel good.
9. Understand that you might not be able to work things out. Sometimes you just need to know when to call it a day and move on, but most certainly use your new knowledge from this experience and use it in your next relationship.
10. If you are in school and have a class with them, ignore them and hang out with your own friends. DO NOT TRY TO MAKE THEM JEALOUS. It will just create a cycle of you two attempting to make each other jealous.
11. Be happy and push them away. Always be calm and cool.